Thursday, February 12, 2015

God > Alcohol

Alcohol –

We have had a tumultuous relationship.  A love/hate relationship.  A relationship built on nothing but good feelings in the beginning and hurt, resentment and fear at the end.  I think it is time we officially end our relationship.  I can’t have you in my life when all you want to do is hurt me and my family.

I remember when we first met.  I remember that first time I drank you until I was drunk.  I remember how wonderful I felt.  How light.  I was able to talk to people and feel comfortable.  I was 20.  I knew everything and nothing at the same time.  I knew you were going to be good and bad for me.  I knew I loved what you did for me.

As a child, you were the forbidden friend, something for me to look forward to when I got older, which made you all the more appealing.  But I didn’t touch you until I was nearly “old enough”.  I was that good girl, the girl who hated the taste of you and knew the rules.  Because once I was old enough, all bets were off, right?  Once I was old enough, it was okay.  I would learn to love you and rely on you.

I don’t know if you know this, Alcohol, but I didn’t like myself very much.  I didn’t think I deserved to be loved or needed.  When I used you, though, I thought I loved myself.  I thought you loved me.  I thought I was fun to be around.  I could stand being around myself and in my own head.  So our relationship started.  1 month before I turned 21, before it was legal, I used you. 

I drank you and I was happy.  I drank a lot of you.  I got up the next day and thought everything was great.  I didn’t drink you again until my 21st birthday.  On my 21st birthday you really laid into me.  You showed me what you could do.  I thought I could take it, I kept asking for more, and more you gave me.  I was so hung over the next day I felt it for 2 days. 

I should have known you weren’t good for me then.  I should have stopped hanging out with you when I knew you didn’t do good in the end.  But I didn’t stop.  I drank you and used you so much in the next 6 months.  You and I were buds.  Even before class.  I just needed to take that edge off.  You could do that for me.  I let you do that for me.

I wised up after those 6 months.  I stopped using you for several years.  I don’t know if really wised up, because I gave you up for a boy.  I gave up my addiction to you for an addiction to him.  Both addictions were bad for me.  You were both addictions and obsessions.  Each of you slowly driving me to my breaking point.

Then I was alone.  I started off slowly letting you back into my life.  I slowly let you put your hooks in me, because when I was with you, it felt okay to be in my own skin.  I didn’t feel so lonely.  I felt like I was actually worth something.

I drank you off and on for a couple of years and then gave you up again when I needed to lose weight, another obsession.  I have always traded you out for a different obsession.  We talked about this in a meeting.  You know those meetings I go to so I don’t ever have to use you again?  Yeah, those.  I traded you out.  You still had your hooks in me though, a little deeper than the time before.  I knew that when I drank you, used you, I could be someone I wasn’t.  Someone I liked to be.  Someone I could feel more comfortable with.

I used you.  I used you because I hated myself.  I used you because I had no idea how to deal with my emotions, and you helped me numb them when they overwhelmed me.  I used you and you didn’t mind.  You just dug your claws in deeper, making sure I thought I needed you.

I allowed you to take over my life.  You are all I thought about at the end.  How was I going to afford to buy you and when could I get to the store to pick you up.  I thought about you all day.  Which store was I going to go to today.  Did my kids really need that thing for school or could I use that money on you?  I put you above my marriage, my kids and God.  I put you above my health.  I knew I needed to find help from someone other than myself to quit you when I thought about drinking at work.  Who would miss the communion wine?  That overly sweet wine not meant to drink more than a small glass at a time.  I knew then just how bad my obsession had become when I was thinking of doing this.  But I didn't do it.  Sure I knew I wasn’t able to quit you all those other times I tried.  But it was okay because I was just drinking at home.  I wasn’t hurting anyone but myself, or so I thought.  But after all of my attempts to quit you on my own and my failure at doing it, coupled with my new thoughts of drinking at work, I knew there had to be something bigger than me and I needed it to get me to quit you.  I needed something, I just didn’t realize it was God.

I thought you helped me.  And maybe you did when all is said and done.  Maybe you and I were this close so I could finally realize that I didn’t need you.  So I could appreciate the life God had given me.  A life that I didn’t deserve or felt I didn’t deserve.  Because of my obsession with you, I put my marriage and kids on the back burner.  My obsession with you made me selfish, self-loathing and self-centered.  I was scared and angry and fearful.  In the end, when you were in me, I became a person I hated more than I hated when I had to feel emotions.  I hated the mom I was and the wife I had become.  I hated that I was drunk when I married my husband and that all I could think about was the next time you and I would get together.  I hate I let you take so many years from me.  I hate that I didn’t see it sooner.  I hate that I had become my mom.  I hate that I can never take back the horrible words I said and the things I did. 

But I am so thankful.  I am thankful I experienced all of this hate towards you and my obsession with you.  Because had I not, I would not and could not appreciate the life I have today without you. 

I am not longer obsessed with you.  Today I am obsessed with staying sober and being the best mom, wife, and believer I can possibly be.  Today I don’t need you.  Today your claws are no longer even touching my skin.  But I know that can change at any time.  I know you are sitting back, sharpening, maybe this time with a hook on the end so you can get that final dig in.  So the next time I won’t be able to shake you.  But I don’t want there to be a next time.  I don’t want you to be able to utilize those claws. 

Today I am happy and have a relationship with God I never knew possible.  Today I don’t have to drink or use you.  Today you are part of my past.  A past I will never forget, nor do I want to forget.  Today our relationship is over.  Today I have a relationship with my husband and I can actually start to imagine a future with him.  Today I can start to see an outline of my kids getting older.  Today I talk to my sister on a daily basis and my parents don’t worry about my safety.  Today I am the family they always wanted and I have the family I had always imagined.

Today I am happy and sober and blessed.  And thankful.  So thankful.  I am thankful to have been obsessed with you.  Without that obsession I would never have realized and learned how to be happy and rely on God.

Today I don’t need you. 

So I tell you this, Alcohol.  I will never forget what you did for me, the positive or the negative.  But I don’t need you any longer.  I have our memories and our memories are enough to make me stay away from you, today. 

Good bye, Alcohol.  Don’t ever come back.  There is nothing left for you here.  I have nothing for you.  As much fun as you were, I never want to become the person I was and the end of our relationship.  Those dark days are something of the past I will always remember, so I can keep you away.


Sincerely,

Mandy




No comments:

Post a Comment